SKY is a sisterhood of teenage girls from all across Botswana. What makes SKY Girls out from the crowd is that they have pledged to stay true to themselves by taking the SKY pledge. Taking the pledge means defining their choices-things they like (sure ka yone) and things they can do without (shapo ka yone).
Thousands of girls have joined the movement since it was launched in February 2014 and the SKYNation is growing rapidly.
https://www.facebook.com/skygirlsbw << follow their page on facebook and LIKE
On the 6th September 2014 , I had the pleasure to witness #TrueBeauty Fashion show. There were stalls by Cazabella –designer costume jewelry, Mmamontle-jewelry, Les wears-clothing, Tjipo Keakitse-custom-made jewelry, Brave World Clothing-street style.
The fashion show showcased true beauty for every girl. The designers that showcased were :
- TRPLS by Sino Ragontse -luxury hand beaded jewelry which were young, vibrant as well as quirky and artistic.
- Egregious DV-Esque by Namie Mos-inspired by the moons phases and Cruella De Ville’s intriguing character.
- Cazabella presented by Janine Byliefeldt-high quality crystals , workmanships, finshes and materials, 4th generation Italian founded Cazabella at age 20. Influenced by his heritage he maintained an eye to detail when creating ranges.
- Theorags by Theo Khumalo– denim line is edgy and funky, designs that make a statement, but tell a story.
- House of Kay by Kaone Moremong-re-defines class and style, home-grown feel, as African -print fabrics are used to create cultlurally inspired clothing with the essence of a rich heritage and simple silhouette.
- Gilded Sands by Aobakwe Molasiwa-inspired by movement , fluidity and ageless grace.Aobakwe is driven by the process of creating his designs , revealing the subtitles that make each piece unique.
- iZaura by Mothusi Lesolle- his designs reflect a deep understanding of the female form and the qualities of different fabrics. The result is clothing that is layered, comfortable and elegant.
Behind the scenes….
Apart from the catwalk there were some really great entertainment from Elte, Zeus, Samantha Mogwe, Vee, Legitix Dance and Moving Space Dance. Here are more pictures from the show;
and that is not all…
All the models were chosen from SKY Girls based on their definition of ‘true beauty’. The models were: Sigah, Raquel, Onty, Bame, Tsholofelo, Keamogetse, Mercy, Bontle, Tumisang, Laone, Goistseone, Lorato, Gorata, Ratie and Tsarona. They walked the walk and indeed felt good and comfortable and showed us true beauty.
A show would not be without the entertainment of the day, by Vee
pleased with the event I hope to go for many more…shapo ka yone<>sure ka yone